Dress - Cocktail dress
From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- A blue mid calf length polyester dress with prominent gathered and padded shoulders, horizontally ruched bodice, high scoop neckline, full length sleeves and dropped waist. The skirt is of plain blue polyester mock wrap style with ruched blue spiral detail on left leg seam of bodice to skirt. The dress secures at the centre back with a nylon zip and self covered button. The sleeve is lined with mauve / pink polyester
- T0106.1 - 2
- teena varigos, costume party, cocktail dress, dame edna, barry humphries
- This c1980s cocktail dress was purchased by Di Reidie secondhand in c.2000 to wear to "Dame Edna" themed hen's night costume party.
- Teena Varigos (Maker)
- Di Reidie was a volunteer and president of Brighton Historical Society from 1999 - 2016. Originally from New Zealand, Di and her family have lived in Male Street, Brighton for many years and been active community members. During her time at BHS, Di has contributed significantly to the establishment, preservation and promotion of the Costume collection as well as the Brighton Historical society as a whole. Di was also a vintage clothing dealer and amassed her own significant costume and ephemera collection.
Teena Varigos was a long running Melbourne based Australian fashion label specialising in after five, cocktail, party and race wear.
"Dame Edna" is the most popular and well known alter ego of prominent Australian comic Barry Humphries. The character of "Dame Edna" parodies Humphries perception of an Australian snobbish suburban "house wife". The character is known for its extreme "Australiana" and absurd costuming, acerbic wit and biting accuracy.
- Manufacturers label "Teena Varigos" "Size 14, To Fit Bust 90cm, Waist 70cm, Hip 95cm" "Do not iron pleating" "100% Polyester, Warm Iron, Dry Clean Only"
- 2 Sep 2019 at 8:56PM