Dress - Evening dress
From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- Purple silk full length dress with cream neckline and arm hole band trim and white decorative beading over waist. The bodice joins front and back at the shoulder with a decorative purple ring. The lining is made of magenta coloured silk.
- costume party, fancy dress, royal wedding, hartnell of melbourne, ralph samuel, melbourne designers, flinders lane, di reidie, 1960s
- This item is part of the Di Reidie collection. Diane Reidie was a much loved volunteer and President of Brighton Historical Society from 1999 until 2016. Originally from New Zealand, Di and her family lived in Male Street, Brighton for many years. A vibrant and energetic person with a zest for life and a gift for bringing people together, Di was a friend to many in the Bayside community and active in local community organisations. Her tireless work as President of BHS saw her named Bayside Citizen of the Year in 2008. As a seller and collector of vintage clothing, she was passionate about fashion history; one of her many enduring contributions to BHS was her extensive work in preserving, developing and promoting the Society's costume collection.
In 2018-19, Di donated more than one hundred items from her personal vintage clothing collection to the Society. The collection, which includes clothing, hats, handbags and shoes from local and international designers, is representative of Di's wide-ranging interests, colourful personality, creativity, humour and love of fashion and travel.
Di was gifted this dress by a former manager of the Bayside Gallery, who herself had worn it to a fancy dress event after finding it in a local opportunity shop. Di subsequently wore it to a party with friends at the Windsor Hotel in Melbourne to celebrate and watch the televised royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in May 2018.
- Hartnell of Melbourne (Maker)
- "Exclusively Yours Hartnell REGD Melbourne", "Exclusive Finest Imported Fabric"
- Tuesday at 3:30PM