Construction of the new concrete bridge over the Diamond Creek on Main Road, Eltham, c.May 1926. Viewed from northern approach looking east, the access drive running off Antoinette Boulevard parallel to Main Road is visible as well as the power lines that used to run in front of Eltham Park (Eltham Lower Park). Also visible is a tree situated beside the roadway. It is believed this is the same tree that remains today as a dead tree trunk immediately adjacent to the road verge armco near the corner of Antoinette Boulevard.
The original long suspension bridge over the Diamond Creek on Main Road at Eltham collapsed during flooding of the Diamond Creek on October 13 and 14, 1923. The original bridge was built around 1840 for the coach road when Cobb & Co.'s coach was the only conveyance between Eltham and Melbourne. Widespread damage was done in Melbourne and surrounding areas by floods resulting from the overflow of the Yarra at many points along its banks. A temporary bridge rigged up was severely damaged by the flooding of the creek and was closed to vehicular traffic in April 1924. A new concrete bridge was constructed to replace it and by May 1926 all the concrete piles and abutments had been completed. The bridge was finally completed and opened for traffic in September 1926, almost three years after it initially collapsed.
This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.'
It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.
Photo print 9 x 12.5 cm