black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A small black / white photograph of a group of men wearing lawn bowling uniforms. In front of them are two balls.
- H-87mm W-120mm
- This is a photograph of the first committee and members of the Orbost Bowling Club in 1931. L-R: Rev. Montgomerie, Ab Trewin, Dave & Dick Pardew, Jack Cameron, Harry Cameron, Carl Dreverman, Lance Herbert, Rupert Mosley, J. McKeown, Sam Lynn, T. Bartold - Geo. Haymes.
The first meeting was held on 23/3/1922, then the Orbost bowling Club was formed in 1929 when the funds for the construction of the green were issued by debentures of five pounds each. These were all taken up and a six rink green was laid down. Inaugural President, Sam Lynn and Secretary T. Bartold, the first Club Champion was M. Rothberg. It was not until 1951 that women were admitted as associates albeit restrictions.Associate members were not to exceed 25 and ladieswere to be of good character with preference to be given to wives of male members. Ladies had tot be off premises by 4pm.
It was not until 1935/1936 that Orbost became a member of the Central Gippsland Bowling Association.
- October 1931
- Bowling clubs play a significant role in community recreation needs. The Orbost Bowling Club plays an important role in the Orbost community.
- on back - handwritten - "Opening Orbost BC Committee Oct 1931"
- 12 Aug 2019 at 2:10PM