From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of a group of thirteen men, some standing, some sitting in front of a wooden shed. The photograph is in an ornate frame made of dried seeds.
- H-400mm W-600mm
- orbost-agricultural-society lynch-mary orbost-show
- The first meeting to form an Agricultural society in Orbost was convened by the then Orbost Progress Association and held in the Mechanics Hall on Saturday, 10th October 1891. Its first show was held on 3rd March 1904...on a site alongside the Bonang Road where the present Golf Club stands. It is currently held at the Recreation Reserve at Newmerella. (Ref: In Times Gone By-Deborah Hall)
This frame was made by Mary Lynch, wife of Matt Lynch. Pictured in the photograph are: Back: W. Fisher, Archie Rodwell, Mat Lynch, Rupert Mosley, George Granter, Arthur Saunders, Arther Pardew, John Bird, John Gilbert.
Front: Bill Ginning, George Perry (secretary) John Johnston (president), Carl Dreverman.
- C 1904
- Lynch, Mary (Maker)
- This item is associated with the Orbost Agricultural Society 's Annual Show which has been a major event in Orbost for over a century.
Agricultural shows are an important part of cultural life in small country towns and the Orbost Show is an integral part of Orbost 's agricultural history.
It is also an example of the craft skills of women in the early 20th century.
- on front - "Orbost Agricultural Show Committee probably 1904"
- 19 Aug 2019 at 11:55AM