black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A large black / white photograph of a punt with a motor vehicle and people making their way across a river.
- H-135mm W-215mm
- snowy-river-orbost flood-1934 river-transport-punt
- This photograph shows vehicles and people being ferried across the Snowy River during the 1934 flood. The Orbost punt was reinstated on a temporary basis following damage to the bridge.
Damage estimated at £500,000 was caused by the 1934 floods in the Orbost district. This 1934 flood was devastating, destroying a section of the 1922 Orbost bridge, wrecking fences, bridges and roads, dumping silt and debris on the rich river flats and drowning cattle.
The centre span of the Orbost Bridge was washed away.
- This is a pictorial record of the effects of the 1934 floods in the Orbost district.
- on front - "On the Snowy 1934"
- 19 Aug 2019 at 12:07PM