black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of four men working on the construction of a new bridge and its pylons a man is standing on a timber tower/ derrick. There are logs in the foreground, trees in the background. sheds on the left and possibly a steam engine.
- H-90mm W-125mm
- snowy-river-bridge granter-jim bridge
- This photograph shows the construction of the first bridge over the Snowy River at Orbost being built.
a copy was also donated by Gil and Heather Richardson.
The first pile bridge over the Snowy River was just completed by Mr Jim Granter when the 1891 flood took out the centre,. There were differences of opinion as to whether the council should pay . The Shire Secretary, Mr John Draffin, persuaded them to honour their obligations. Mr Granter and Mr Clarke finished it as a suspension bridge which was opened by Mrs William Watt. Soon after a mob of cattle stampeded, the weight snapped the cable, letting one side sag. Mr R.P. Cameron repaired it and this bridge remained until 1922.
"In 1890 the contract for a bridge was let to Mr James Granter for £1450. This structure with additions and improvements made to it was to cost the ratepayers about £2,500, and its erection was proceeded with in a very satisfactory manner until, just as the greater-part of the work had been completed, the flood of 1891 came down on it, piling up mountains of logs, timber and debris against the piers, which had not been made wide enough apart to allow for. contingencies of this kind. The structure held out bravely until the turn of the flood and then gave way with a crash, about five bays from the centre disappearing in the stream." ( Snowy River Mail August 12 1893)
- This is a pictorial record of the construction of the first bridge over the Snowy River.
- on back - "first bridge - 1st pile being driven"
- 30 Dec 2019 at 1:26PM