8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana
Black and white photograph of seven 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles soldiers at Buna barracks , Albury c. 1968.
Hartung and Madjeric both served with German forces during WW11. They migrated to Australia post-war and joined 8/13 VMR.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.
Inscriptions & Markings
" Boots Roberts, Bill Cameron, John Doyle, Jack Harris, Harry Barns, Lou Madjeric, Peter Hartung. "