black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of a timber building - a house and another building at an angle. There are three people standing in front - a man. woman and child. On the left is a flag on a mast. In the background is bush.
- H-84mm W-145mm
- danebo-hotel-martins-creek jensen-peter
- Peter Jensen came to Martin's Creek (35 miles north of Orbost) in 1890 having been told that Martin's Creek would be on the railway line. He was a cooper who made the casks from silver wattles. He cleared the area for farming and then built an accommodation house, Danebo., which was well used by travellers to Bonang and Bendoc.
- late 19th century - early 20th century
- Gippsland was a relatively less developed part of Victoria in the nineteenth century. Danebo Hotel, Martin’s Creek, would have been an important stopping point for travellers to Bonang and Bendoc. The hotel is no longer standing
- 2 Sep 2019 at 2:08PM