From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic
- Colour photograph of soldiers of ' A ' squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles on parade at Buna Barracks Albury 1986. Sergeant D. Reynolds ( WRAAC ) at left; Corporal B. Lewis at right.
- 133 mm x 90 mm
- The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.Members of the Women’s Royal Australian Army Corps (WRAAC) were posted to Army Reserve units in the 1980s and 1990s. They were rarely posted to Armoured Fighting Vehicles (AFVs) but were invaluable in the A1 Echelon driving fuel, ammunition, ration and water supply vehicles.
- 3 Sep 2019 at 11:30AM