black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A very large framed black / white photograph of a large group of timber workers in a bush setting. Above and below the photograph are their names. The names can be clearly read. The photograph is on a white buff card under glass in a black frame.
- The local logging industry had its beginning back in 1882. The first batch of timber was cut in a sawmill at Orbost on the Brodribb River.
- late 19th century - early 20th century
- Orbost has historically been based on the timber industry, but that industry has declined considerably over the last 20 years. The number of locals involved in the timber industry has declined and many of the mills have closed. This item reflects a time when that industry was a significant contributor to the economy of the district.
- Names are type - written above and below the photograph.
- 9 Sep 2019 at 11:42AM