From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of a group of band members in uniform and holding their instruments. In the front is a young boy holding drum sticks standing in front of a large drum which has ORBOST MUNICIPAL BAND written around its circumference. It is on a white buff card under glass in a white wooden frame.
- H-330mm W-410mm
- The first Orbost Brass Band was formed in 1889. Around 1908 the town band split and the Orbost Workers' Band was formed. Eventually the two bands merged in 1913 to reform as the Orbost Municipal Band under conductorship of Charles Spink. The band continued for many years but was later disbanded and again reformed. This was to happen a number of times, the last time being in 1961 and continuing through to the late 1970's.
Further info and Ref: In Times Gone By - Deborah Hall
- The various Orbost bands over the years played a major role in community activities providing entertainment and musical experiences for the many members.
- on front - Orbost Municipal Band -1965 with a typed list of names
- 9 Sep 2019 at 1:40PM