Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Hat - Brighton Technical School hat

From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria

Description
Navy blue fur felt hat with rounded crown and slighty upturned brim. Navy blue grosgrain hat band with narrow red, gold and brown stripes.
Links
Object Registration
T0286
Keywords
brighton technical school, school uniform, school hat
Historical information
This hat is part of the former Brighton Technical School girls' uniform.

Brighton Technical School was officially opened in Berwick Street, Brighton on 28 July 1922, following a ten-year campaign to establish a local public secondary school. A separate girls' campus was opened two years later at Cora Lynn, a Victorian-era Italianate villa in 45 Cochrane Street. Generations of Brighton students went through the school until it was closed by the Victorian Department of Education in 1991.
When Made
circa 1970
Made By
Varden (Maker)
Inscriptions & Markings
Interior label: "CREATED BY / VARDEN / MELB. / 'AKUBRA' FINEST FUR FELT". On the reverse side, the name "Eleanor Clark" is written in blue pen.
Last updated
10 Sep 2019 at 6:11PM