Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Shoe - Child's shoe

From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria

Description
Brown leather child's shoe with an ankle strap, fastening with a mother-of-pearl button. Heavily deteriorated.
Object Registration
T0297
Keywords
st ninians, george ward cole, children's clothing, 19th century
Historical information
This child's shoe was found underneath the floorboards of the historic Brighton house St Ninian's, 10 Miller Street, during its demolition in September 1974.

One of Brighton's earliest buildings, St Ninian's was built around 1841 for merchant, politician and former British naval officer George Ward Cole (1783-1879) and his family. Ward Cole was a prominent member of Victorian society in the mid-to-late nineteenth century. He served in the Victorian Parliament from 1853-55 and 1859-79. His seaside home in Brighton was a fashionable rendezvous for many important identities who shaped Melbourne’s history. Victoria’s first royal visitor, Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, was a guest there in 1867. It is possible the shoe belonged to one of the Ward Cole children.

During the demolition of St Ninian's in September 1974 the Brighton Historical Society's then-secretary, Rosalind Landells, snuck onto the work site in the hope of saving some part of the building and its history. She found this shoe under the partially-demolished floor of the house.
When Made
19th century
Inscriptions & Markings
Handwritten in pencil on the sole of the shoe: "Found under floor at St Ninians 1974 Sept during demolition".
Last updated
10 Sep 2019 at 2:35PM