Book - Australian Milk and Cream Bottles
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a soft cover book of 224 pages. The cover has a red background with black printing and a colour image of five bottles and five other dairy-related items on the front cover and colour images of four bottles, a tin and three labels or signs on the back cover. The contents include text on milk and cream bottles and allied material and colour and black and white photographs.
- W 21 cm. H 29.5 cm. D 1.3 cm.
- dairying in western district of victoria, warrnambool district dairying, history of warrnambool, sungold dairies, tooram
- This book contains information on milk and cream bottles and other dairy-related items. It includes photographs of local milk and butter factories – Warrnambool (Allansford), Grassmere, Koroit, Garvoc, Glenormiston and Byaduk and references to Warrnambool milk suppliers – Antarctic Ice, Tooram and H Lindsay. No details have been found on H. Lindsay, selling milk in the 1920 to 1940 period. Antarctic Ice had a pasteurising plant in Kepler Street in the 1930s and sold to Warrnambool Cheese and Butter and Kraft in partnership and milk was sold under the new label, Sungold Dairies. They then purchased the Kaye Ryan pasteurizing plant in Verdon Street. Kraft moved out of the partnership with Warrnambool Cheese and Butter and Sungold Dairies relocated to the Allansford factory site where they still operate today. Tooram was the name of the property established in the Allansford area by the pioneer settler, John Allan. By the 1860s Tooram had becme well-known for its cheese making and in the 1880s Tooram, owned by Thomas Palmer, had what was described as the finest dairy farm in Victoria.
- Crown Castleton Publishers Printers: Trojan Press Pty Ltd Preston Victoria (Maker)
- This book is of interest as it contains information on milk and cream bottles and dairy-related items and Warrnambool is the centre of an important dairying industry with the Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory in Allansford being the oldest existing dairy product factory in Australia. The book will be very helpful to researchers.
- 6 Oct 2019 at 6:30PM