Book - Art For the Country
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a soft cover book of 400 pages. The cover has a white spine with black printing, a back cover with a colour photograph as a background and black printing and a front cover with a collage of colour photographs as a background with white printing. The pages contain a preface, an introduction, seven parts of text material, an appendix, an index and a bibliography.
- 15.3 cm. H 22.7 cm. D 3 cm.
- don edgar, warrnambool art gallery, regional art galleries of victoria, history of warrnambool
- This book by Dr Don Edgar, a well-known Australian sociologist, educator and historian, tells of the establishment and development of art galleries in regional Victoria. This includes the Warrnambool Art Gallery, established in the early 1880s. The book documents the efforts of local groups and individuals to set up art galleries and their battles with government indifference and lack of adequate funding extending up to the present day.
- Australian Scholarly Publishing Pty Ltd (Maker)
- This book is of considerable interest as it gives details of the founding and development of the Warrnambool Art Gallery, set in the context of the establishment of other early regional galleries in Victoria. It is an important addition to our research library.
- Don Edgar
- 11 Sep 2019 at 12:39PM