Book - The Secret of Serenity
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a hard cover book of 128 pages. The hard cover is blue with black printing on the spine. The dust cover has printing on the back cover and spine and a colour photograph of a path and parkland with red printing on the front cover. The pages contain an introduction and twelve chapters of text.
- W 12.5 cm. H 18.8 cm. D 2 cm.
- rev. gordon powell, australian presbyterian church, history of warrnambool
- This is a book offering the reader ways to combat mental and spiritual stress. The author, the Rev. Gordon Powell (1911-2005) was born in Warrnambool to Louisa and George Powell. His father was a dentist in Kepler Street Warrnambool. Gordon Powell was educated in Melbourne and was a Presbyterian Minister in Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne and U.S.A. He was an R.A.A.F. chaplain in World War Two and established the Alcoholics Anonymous organization in Victoria. At St. Stephens Church in Sydney he attracted large attendances at both his Sunday and week-day services and became well-known for his religious radio broadcasts. He wrote several books and many articles for religious journals.
- Hodder & Stoughton (Maker)
- This book is retained because it is the only piece of writing we have by the Rev. Gordon Powell who was born in Warrnambool in 1911 and was one of the most influential Presbyterian Church ministers in Australia in the 20th century.
- 6 Oct 2019 at 6:39PM