Tradesman’s Work Diary - Book
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is an exercise book with a grey cover with red binding. The dark blue printing on the front cover is enclosed in scroll patterns and the back cover has dark blue printing The cover is creased and has some ink splotches. The front cover has been stamped but the printing is now mostly illegible. The pages contain handwritten work and accounting information in black and blue ink. Some pages have been overwritten in red and black ink and pencil and there is one loose sheet.
- W 17.4 cm. H 22.5 cm. D 1.7 cm.
- a.greed,, warrnambool tradesman, history of warrnambool
- This exercise book contains details on the work carried out by A.Greed, a tradesman undertaking small carpentry and repair jobs in the Warrnambool region. The works completed date from 17 April 1945 to 11 October 1949. Mr Greed apparently worked mostly for the Public Works Department and had contracts for schools including Ecklin South, Panmure, Cudgee, Dennington, Mailors Flat, Grasmere, and Warrnambool Technical School and for other public buildings including the Warrnambool Court House, the Police Station and Housing Commission buildings. Other contracts included ones for the Framlingham Aboriginal Reserve, Callaghan’s Garage, the Caledonian Hotel, the Methodist Croquet Club and many private home owners. Details on the identity of ‘A. Greed’ are not known as there are several possibilities for the 1940s era. One clue is that an ‘E. Greed’ was also an employee.
- A. Greed, Tradesman (Maker)
- This exercise book is of some interest as an example of a tradesman’s handwritten details of his work as a carpenter and repair man in the 1940s in the Warrnambool area. There are many local names and businesses of interest mentioned in the exercise book.
- The Vana Exercise Book
- 6 Oct 2019 at 6:42PM