The Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as the mounted arm of the Victorian Colonial defence force in 1885. It was under the command of Colonel Thomas Caradoc Rose (Tom) Price (1842-1911). Price was born in Tasmania, educated in Hobart Town and at Scotch College, Melbourne, before entering the East India Military College, Addiscombe, England. He was commissioned on 7 July 1861 in the Madras Infantry and began twenty years’ service in India with several regiments, retiring in April 1883. On his return to Victoria he was tasked with raising of a force of one thousand, to be known as the Victorian Mounted Rifles, and appointed a lieutenant-colonel in the Permanent Military Forces.
Companies of the Victorian Mounted Rifles were raised in rural districts throughout Victoria. The soldiers were paid a small annual allowance and were required to provide their own horse. Many members served in contingent to the Boer War. After Federation the VMR was gathered up into the Australian Light Horse.
First Day Cover commemorating 100 years of service Victorian Mounted Rifles Postmarked 1 May 1985 at Albury NSW 2640. Badge of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles on left side of envelope.
Inscriptions & markings
3109908 Tpr Ellison. C. E. A Squadron 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles Buna Barracks Victoria Street Albury NSW 2640