newspaper clipping - Orbost Forty Years Ago
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A yellowed black / white newspaper clipping of a photograph of people with a horse and cart outside a one-storey hotel building. It is glued onto a piece of cardboard.
- W-860mm H-173mm
- The first hotel built in Orbost was the Club in 1885 an old wooden place on the corner built for J. A. Petersen of the Mitchell Hotel Bairnsdale, with the licence in the name of Mr Thomas Maguire (stepson of Petersen).
In June 1889 there was a rush to Mackenzie River, about 28 miles from Orbost, on Twelve Mile Creek. An estimated 80 men rushed the ground, but yields were patchy and large numbers eventually left. They were coming and going almost daily.
- The Club Hotel was the first hotel built in Orbost and remains a significant building in the town. It was an important hub for the township with many whole town meetings held there.
- Caption at bottom - "View taken in 1889 of the Old Orbost Club Hotel"
- 11 Oct 2019 at 5:14PM