Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost
A black / white studio portrait / photograph of a bridal couple. The bride on the left is wearing a typical 1920s wedding dress. tTe front is short with a hem that is in different length in front than behind. She is wearing a hat in the cloche-style. She is holding a bouquet of flowers and her train is draped to the left. The groom is wearing a three piece morning suit. he has a with a wingtip collar white dress shirt and a cravat tie.
Jean Stirling was the daughter of John (died January 27 1934) and Ann Stirling. Her siblings were William, Alexander and Ann. She was the grand-daughter of James stirling.
Aged 19 James Stirling arrived in Melbourne on January 26, 1842 with his family - parents, three sisters and two brothers. James Stirling moved around a lot to Whittlesea, Ballarat goldfields, Cunninghame, (now Lakes Entrance), then to the Old Station about 36 miles to the east along the coast near the mouth of the Snowy River and for a time settled there with his wife also from Wigton, Scotland, and their family four sons two daughters (James, John, William, George, Margaret and Polly).
The first settler to occupy the Marlo township area was James Stirling around the year 1875. He built a bark hut on the bluff that had two rooms, bark walls, earthen floors and a shingle roof. By 1884, this structure had expanded to a 9 roomed accommodation house and in 1886 became the Marlo Hotel when a liquor license was granted.
(more information from “Snowy River Mail”, Wednesday, April 13th 1977: MEMORIES OF MARLO by Mrs Elsbeth Conlon (nee Stirling )
This photograph is associated with the Stirling family early settlers of Marlo. It is also a pictorial record of styles of wedding dress popular in the 1920s.
Inscriptions & Markings
on front - hand - written "Jean Stirling's wedding (Marlo) ? Joyce"