black and white photographs
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- Nine small black / white photographs of a derailed train at a railway station. Derailed trucks and floodwaters can be seen. The photographs have a narrow white frame. Some are portrait and others landscape.
- H-85mm W-60mm
- floods-orbost orbost-railway-station rescue courtney-dudley-charles-seymour
- Dudley Charles Seymour Courtney , with a fellow worker, was trapped on the Orbost Raailwaay Station roof until rescued by an army duck. These photographs were his. He worked on the railway in Orbost from 1942 - 1952 approximately.
During the 1952 flood nearly half of Orbost rail way station is washed away. The stationmaster and four members of his staff were rescued by police using army ducks.
- This is a pictorial record of a significant event in the history of Orbost.
- on back of 3082.8 - hand-written in blue pen :"The floods worked the line from under the trucks in a couple of hours"
- 17 Oct 2019 at 11:56AM