Card - A Christmas Message to the ANZACS
From the Collection of Geelong RSL Sub Branch 50 Barwon Heads Road Belmont Victoria
- An oblong card, an off while colour with a paper insert held in place by a tied cotton thread.
- 20.4cm x 16.0cm and 12.5cm x 20.0cm
- hamilton, birdwood, christmas card, senator pearce, christmas card
- This souvenir card "to the ANZACS Christmas 1915" was produced with greeting messages from General Sir Ian Hamilton, General Sir William Birdwood and Senator Pearce. The card was being sent by Australian Women in England to all Invalided Australians in England, Egypt and Malta.
It would appear that Lady Birdwood was one of many behind the production of the Card.
On the back of the Drawing Page is a note from Dr S H Archibald, 6th A S C dated 27 December 1915 "This card was given to me by Miss Birdwood, who is a Nurse on the Hospital Staff."
- The Card and the "With Compliments" page are original as were sent to Invalid Australians in England, Egypt and Malta in December 1915.
- Front a Rising Sun, a picture of General Sir William R Birdwood, a message from General Sir Ian Hamilton, a Cooee to Australia drawing from Gen William Birdwood, inside last page a message from Gen Ian Hamilton.
On the back page of the drawing is a note from Dr S H Achibald 6th A S C dated 27 December 1915.
There is also a page with the Card issued with the Compliments of the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia.
- 22 Nov 2019 at 11:49AM