Stories Organisations Projects About Login

black and white photograph

From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria

A small black / white photograph of a single storey timber building. On a sign below the roof is "Cabbage Tree Hotel". The hotel is surrounded by a wooden picket fence. A man and woman are standing on either side of a motor car parked on the roadway in front of the building.
H-65mm W-108mm
Object Registration
Historical information
The Cabbage Tree Creek township was originally established to support the booming timber industry of the mid 20th century. Five timber mills worked full time supporting the families that were drawn to the area's wealth of natural resources. The settlement of Cabbage Tree Creek is located on the Princes Highway, 27 km east of Orbost in East Gippsland. The first white settler arrived in the valley in 1887 cutting a dray track from Marlo to the south-west. Several families cleared the alluvial flats, growing maize, peas and beans and raising pigs, cattle and sheep. Later the farmers milked cows, sending cream to Orbost. In the late 1890s, small quantities of alluvial gold were found in the creek.
A school commenced classes in 1913, but enrolment was small and at times the school operated part time with several other small schools in the area. The school building served as a hall for the district.
From the 1920s the Cabbage Tree Hotel catered to drivers on the improved Princes Highway. (info. from Victorian Places)
When Made
1920s -1930s
This is a pictorial record of Cabbage Tree, East Gippsland in the late 20th century. It shows a building that no longer exists.
Inscriptions & Markings
on back - on label - Cabbage Tree Hotel
Last updated
6 Mar 2020 at 2:37PM