black and white photographs
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- Seven black / white photographs and one postcard print.
- orbost-railway east-gippsland-railway bairnsdale-orbost-railway
- These photographs relate to the East Gippsland Railway.
The Bairnsdale-Orbost railway was opened in 1916 to serve the agricultural and timber industry. Because of the decline in traffic and heavy operating costs, the line was finally closed in August, 1987.
Orbost Railway Station was opened on Monday 10 April 1916 as the terminus of the Orbost railway line, and closed in 1987. The station was located on the west side of the Snowy River despite the town of Orbost being on the east side of the river, in order to save on the costs of a bridge over the river, which at the time had highly variable levels.
- 1915 - 1969
- Jude, Ray (Maker)
- These photographs are associated with the history of the Orbost-Bairnsdale railway line and therefore reflects the role that the rail line played in the social and economic history of Orbost.
- 3103.1 on back - " Orbost- Snowy River flats viaduct 22-2-1964 ARHS special train Ray Jude photo"
3103.2 - on back -" Orbost Snowy River flats viaduct A.R.H.S. special train 22.2.1969"
3103.3 - on back - " A.R.H.S. special across bridge between Waygara & Nowa Nowa 22-2-1964
3103.4 - on back - " Nowa Nowa Boggy Creek Bridge A.R.H.s. Orbost tour Ray Jude photo"
3103.5 - on back - " Orbost 22-2-1969 SM office & goods shed Ray Jude photo"
3103.6 - on back - " Orbost Railway Yards - 22 February 19369 Ray Jude photo"
3103.7 - on back - " Orbost May 27 -1936 Orbost Rail Station"
3103.8 - on front - caption - Unloading Ballast Orbost line near Newmerella 1915 - J. Sullivan Colin ?
- 19 Dec 2019 at 12:24PM