black and white photographs
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- Five black / white photographs related to closure of the Orbost - Bairnsdale Railway Line.
- H-117mm W-162m
- east-gippsland-railway railway-closure hayward-ron buckley-bill orbost-bairnsdale-railway
- These photographs are from the Snowy River Mail newspaper, September 9, 1987.
Ron Hayward's family ran a shop in Rupert Street, Orbost.
- August 21 1987
- Snowy River Mail (Maker)
- This item is associated with the history of the Orbost-Bairnsdale railway line and therefore reflects the role that the rail line played in the social and economic history of Orbost.
The closure of the line was a significant event in Orbost's history.
- 3104.1 - on back - "A view from Grandview, Newmerella, of the last train to leave Orbost on Friday August 21, 1987. As the afternoon sun lengthens the shadows on the Snowy River flats, the sun also sets on an era in Far East Gippsland transport as the last train crosses the viaduct."
3104,2 - 0n back - "Ron Hayward passes over the staff during the last crew changeover for the last train to run on the Orbost line. Ron Haywood (L) who 39 years and 6 months ago drove the first diesel loco to Orbost (T366T) presents the last staff to the driver, Bill Buckley, who took the last diesel out."
3104.3 - on back -" as above - 2nd paragraph only
3104.4 - on back - " Ron Hayward who took the first diesel engine from Bairnsdale to Orbost on February 21. 1957 when he was stationed at Orbosst. Last Friday he rode on the last diesel to Orbost after obtaining a special pass from V Line , he also handed over the staff for the last change at Orbost. The last driver was Bill Buckley."
3104.5 - on back - "LAST TRAIN ROLLS INTO ORBOST B/A Friday August 28 1987 For Ron Hayward the last train journey on the Orbost rail line was a sad occasion. Mr Hayward took the first diesel engine from Bairnsdale to Orbost on February 21, 1957, whe he was stationed at Orbost. Last Friday he rode on the last diesel too Orbost after obtaining a special pass from V-Line. He also handed over the staff for the last change at Orbost. The last driver was Bill Buckley. Mr Hayward was an engine driver with nhe railways and transferred to Orbost when steam engines used the line. He left the railways in in 1957 but took up a job with them again in 1968. He said also it was a privilege to have been able to ride on the last train, the occasion was a sad one,"
- 23 Dec 2019 at 11:46AM