This is a photograph of students of Orbost State School. Those in the photograph have been identified by Mary Gilbert.
Back Row - Billy Nixon; ?; ?; ?; Albert Williams; Stan Porter; Stan Farmer; Bert Johnston; Betty Gilbert; Bernice Feltis; Olive Gall; Lorna Farquahar: Bessie Gibbs; Cora Morgan; Dorothy Broome
?: Jack Gargan; Bill Dreverman; Tom Stevenson; George French; ?; Jim Nixon; Dorothy Tipping; Lorna Sadler; Ivy Swan; ?; ?; Edie Gall; ?
?; ?; Ray Tyrell; ?; ?; Tom Rodwell; /; Una Perry; Perth Hardy; ?; Molly Pardew; Alice Hammill; Effie Hammill; Muriel Grose; Francie Robinson; Marion Gilbert
Jim Tipping; Dave Murray; Arthur Simpson; ? Grose
The 19th of March 1886 proved an important day in the lives of many early settlers in the Orbost area, because on this day the Orbost State School opened. The fact that the school had first operated temporarily in a leased building, and on a half-time basis with SS2745 Jarrahmond, did not dampen the enthusiasm of the local inhabitants as they saw their offspring commence their education under the guidance of HT Campbell Mackay. However he remained in charge only until 12th of May 1886. The second HT, John Rowe, served until 1908. On 30th of June 1887, a portable room was provided; it being brought to the area by schooner. The school now had accommodation for 30 pupils; the teacher's welfare was considered because quarters of two rooms were attached. As the population increased so did the needs of the school. This was reflected in the provision of a larger classroom in 1898. During 1910-11 the first approaches were made to the Department for the establishment of a HES in Orbost and this became a reality in 1912. Orbost HES supplied post-primary education in the district until a high school was built in 1948.
This photograph is associated with the history of education in Orbost.
A black / white photograph mounted on brown card. It shows a group of school children in front of an outside wallm of of a timber building. A boy in front is holding a board with "Grades 1V & V" written on it.
Inscriptions & markings
A hand-written list of names is attached to the photograph. There is an arrow with "MARION" next to it.
At top - BETT