black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph mounted on grey card. It shows a group of school children posed in rows in front of an outside wall of a wooden building. A boy in the front row is holding a sign with "GRADE " written on it. The sign appears to be in white chalk on a blackboard.
- H-198mm W-228mm
- This is a group of students of Orbost State School. A list of those in the photograph has been hand-written by Mary Gilbert.
Back Row- ?; Alan Nixon; Amy Yandle; Rose Whillance; Una Perry; Nellie Cross; Hilda Coverdale; Ada Morgan; Lesley Gluth; Molly Macalaster; Mel Gluth; Allie Macalaster
Marion Gilbert; Ettie Hammill; Gwen Simpson; Marge Daley; Edie Boucher; ?; ? Burns; Gladys Gall; Billy Momford; mary Kavagnah; Hugh Hawkless; Norman Burns
Royce Andrews; Syd Hardy; ? Lowater; Jim Tipping; ?; ? Joiner; ?; Sinclair Mosley; ? Pleydell; Ian McDonald
The 19th of March 1886 proved an important day in the lives of many early settlers in the Orbost area, because on this day the Orbost State School opened. The fact that the school had first operated temporarily in a leased building, and on a half-time basis with SS2745 Jarrahmond, did not dampen the enthusiasm of the local inhabitants as they saw their offspring commence their education under the guidance of HT Campbell Mackay. However he remained in charge only until 12th of May 1886. The second HT, John Rowe, served until 1908. On 30th of June 1887, a portable room was provided; it being brought to the area by schooner. The school now had accommodation for 30 pupils; the teacher's welfare was considered because quarters of two rooms were attached. As the population increased so did the needs of the school. This was reflected in the provision of a larger classroom in 1898. During 1910-11 the first approaches were made to the Department for the establishment of a HES in Orbost and this became a reality in 1912. Orbost HES supplied post-primary education in the district until a high school was built in 1948.
- C 1915
- Wilson, Les G. (Maker)
- This photograph is associated with the history of education in Orbost.
- There is a handwritten list of names attached to the bottom of the photograph.
- 30 Dec 2019 at 11:51AM