black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- a black / white photograph mounted on brown card. It is of a group of school children in front of an open doorwaay of a timber building. A female teacher is seated on a chair among them. A girl in the front is holding a board with what appears to be handwritten in white chalk on a blackboard -"Grades 111 & 1V Orbost".
- H-201mm w-249mm
- This is a photograph of students of Orbost State School. Mary Gilbert has identified the girl holding the sign as Pen Gilbert.
The 19th of March 1886 proved an important day in the lives of many early settlers in the Orbost area, because on this day the Orbost State School opened. The fact that the school had first operated temporarily in a leased building, and on a half-time basis with SS2745 Jarrahmond, did not dampen the enthusiasm of the local inhabitants as they saw their offspring commence their education under the guidance of HT Campbell Mackay. However he remained in charge only until 12th of May 1886. The second HT, John Rowe, served until 1908. On 30th of June 1887, a portable room was provided; it being brought to the area by schooner. The school now had accommodation for 30 pupils; the teacher's welfare was considered because quarters of two rooms were attached. As the population increased so did the needs of the school. This was reflected in the provision of a larger classroom in 1898. During 1910-11 the first approaches were made to the Department for the establishment of a HES in Orbost and this became a reality in 1912. Orbost HES supplied post-primary education in the district until a high school was built in 1948.
- C 1915-1920
- Vogt, Stanley (Maker)
- This photograph is associate with the history of education i n Orbost.
- at bottom - "X PEN GILBERT"
- 30 Dec 2019 at 12:14PM