Badge - Warrnambool Amateur Basketball Association
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a metal badge in the shape of a shield with gold lettering on a brown background and gold-coloured images of a net and ball on a green background. It has a metal ring at the top for attachment to a ribbon or cord.
- W 2.1 cm. H 2.4 cm.
- warrnambool basketball, warrnambool netball, history of warrnambool
- In the 1950s and 60s what we know as netball today was played by women and was known as basketball. No information has been found on this Warrnambool Basketball Association but it is most probable, however, that it was an early organization of men’s basketball teams. The game of basketball, founded in America, has become much more popular in Australia for both men and women in the last three or four decades with the local organization in Warrnambool known as Warrnambool Basketball Inc. and the teams Warrnambool Seahawks and Mermaids playing in a state-wide competition.
- This badge is retained for display purposes as an example of a sporting badge from the mid 20th century.
- Warrnambool Amateur Basketball Association
- 9 Jan 2020 at 11:20AM