Badge - Salvation Army
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a metal badge,( possibly silver), in the shape of a shield with an inner circle with a red background and images of a cross, the letter ‘S’ and two crossed swords. This inner circle is surrounded by a circular blue rim with gold lettering and outside this circle is a jagged rim with sixteen points. On top of the centre circles is a crown with some red colouring. The metal clip at the back of the badge is missing. The badge is somewhat tarnished. The back of the badge has three hallmarks.
- W 3.3 cm. H 3.8 cm.
- salvation army, history of warrnambool, badge
- This badge is believed to be part of a uniform of an officer of the Salvation Army. It could be either a collar or a hat badge. The Salvation Army, a Christian organization, came to Warrnambool in 1887 with the arrival of Captain and Mrs John Moyle and Lieutenant William Sanderson. Their first place of worship was a Raglan Parade grain store. Today the Warrnambool Salvation Army citadel and associated buildings are in Koroit Street.
- Early 20th century
- This badge is of interest as an early example of the badges worn by Salvation Army personnel in Warrnambool.
- Blood and Fire
The Salvation Army
- 17 Jan 2020 at 11:12AM