Badges - Volunteer Cadet Corps
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- .1 This is a bronze-coloured metal badge with gold lettering, a crown on top, a cross with stars in the middle section and laurel leaves around the outer edges. The two clips at the back are for attachment of the badge to a collar or cap.
.2 as above except that this badge has been damaged and somewhat flattened.
- W 3 cm. H 3.7 cm.
- volunteer cadet corps,, history of warrnambool
- These are badges or pieces of insignia that would have been worn on the collar or cap of members of the Victorian Volunteer Corps. This organization was formed in Victoria in 1867 with the object of fostering in young men leadership, discipline, loyalty and initiative through training programs and community service. The Victorian Volunteer Corps was established in Warrnambool in 1868 and units were initially based at the Warrnambool State School and the Warrnambool Grammar School. Later groups were formed in other schools and competed against each other in rifle shooting competitions, marching and parade skills etc. The Warrnambool groups were trained and assisted by members of the local adult Volunteer Corps. Today cadet groups are sponsored by the Australian Army and there is revived interest in Warrnambool in school cadet groups.
- Late 19th century
- These insignia items have no known local provenance but are of historical interest as mementoes of the Volunteer Cadet Corps that operated in Warrnambool from the late 1860s through to the early 20th century.
- Volunteer Cadet Corps Victoria
Pro Deo et Patria
- 17 Jan 2020 at 11:23AM