Badges - Warrnambool Racing Club
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- .1 A metal badge, four sided, in an irregular shape. The outer rim has gold edging and there is an image in green, red and white of a horse and rider clearing a hurdle. The gold lettering has a white background. At the top of the badge is a metal ring with a brown cord with a metal fastener attached.
.2 A gold-coloured badge in the shape of a triangle with gold lettering. This is attached to the brown cord of badge .1 above.
- .1 W 3.5 cm. H 3 cm. .2 W 3.5 cm. H 2 cm.
- warrnambool racing club, history of warrnambool, badge
- These badges were issued to a member of the Warrnambool Racing Club for the season1957-1958 and includes a male member’s badge and the lady’s badge issued to him. Horse race meetings have been held in Warrnambool since the early days of settlement (late 1840s) and the Warrnambool Racing Club was formed in 1854. Races were first held at the current site of the Warrnambool Racecourse in the late 1850s. Today the chief event of the Warrnambool racing calendar is the May Racing Carnival, held over three days and featuring the well-known Warrnambool Grand Annual Steeplechase.
- Stokes (Maker)
- These badges are retained as examples of Warrnambool Racing Club members and ladies badges of the late 1950s.
- .1 Warrnambool Racing Club. Not Transferable. Season 1957-58. 161. Stokes
.2 W.R.C. Lady. Season 1957-58. 161. Stokes
- 17 Jan 2020 at 12:13PM