Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Badge - Warrnambool Racing Club

From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria

Description
This is a metal badge in the shape of a shield. It has gold trim around the edges and a circle of blue on a white background with gold initials and lettering. The badge has a metal clip at the back.
Size
W 2.5 cm. H 2.5 cm.
Object Registration
002625
Keywords
warrnambool racing club, history of warrnambool, badge
Historical information
This badge has been issued to a member of the Warrnambool Racing Club in 1952. Horse racing meetings have been held in Warrnambool since the early days of settlement. The Warrnambool Racing Club was formed in 1854 and the first race meetings were held at the site of the present-day racecourse in the late 1850s. Today the chief event on the Warrnambool racing calendar is the annual three-day May Racing Carnival, with the main event being the well-known Warrnambool Grand Annual Steeplechase.
When Made
1952
Made By
Stokes (Maker)
Significance
This badge is retained as an example of a badge issued to members of the Warrnambool Racing Club in the mid 20th century.
Inscriptions & Markings
WRC Warrnambool Racing Club
Not Transferable
Season 1952-3 A 242 Stokes
Last updated
17 Jan 2020 at 12:20PM