From the Collection of Mont De Lancey 71 Wellington Road Wandin North Victoria
- Round, silver coloured tobacco tin, lid and container partially rusted. The tin contains a printed guarantee as well as the wrapping paper the tin sat on.
- 10.5 cm. Diameter. X 3 cm. H.
- tobacco tins, smoking equipment, tobacco containers
- Dobie & Son were most famous for their Four Square range of blends and were known for their quality tobacco since 1809.
Dobie's was bought out by Godfrey Phillips and by 1956 the old factory, known as "Greenhill Works" on Clark Street in Paisley was shut down and closed.
Much later, the 4 Square brand was made in Denmark up until around 2001.
The Singapore free Press circa '47 tells us that 4 Square blends started in 1922, also mentioning Dobie's Roll, a thick plug tobacco of exceptional strength.
- George Dobie & Sons Ltd. (Maker)
- "Four Square Curlies" in black lettering on lid, as well as 4 deep pink squares and the words "Fine Cut" on a deep pink background.
Around the edge of the lid are printed the words: "Fine Cut" and "Made in Great Britain", repeated twice and the pink 4 square logo 6 times. Also printed are the words: "To open - insert coin under lid and twist".
"2 oz. Net" stamped on the base.
- 18 Jan 2020 at 10:30PM