Badge - Wannon Repatriation Our Boy 1919
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a metal badge with a blue outer rim and an image on a cream background of a young man in a blue jacket and brown hat. The printing is in red.
- Diameter: 2 cm.
- world war one, history of warrnambool, badge, wannon and corangamite territorial repatriation scheme
- This badge has been produced and sold to raise funds to assist Australian soldiers returning from active service in World War One. At the end of the war the Wannon and Corangamite Territorial Repatriation Scheme was set up to assist returning soldiers to adapt to civilian life. It is presumed that similar schemes were established in other electorates in Australia. Wannon is the name of a Federal electorate in the south west of Victoria and includes Warrnambool and the name on the badge may be an abbreviation of the fuller name mentioned above or an offshoot of the above organization. The scheme included assistance to soldiers with loans to set up businesses and build homes.
- This badge is retained as an example of a local effort to assist Australian soldiers returning from active service in World War One.
- Wannon Repatriation Our Boy 1919
- 20 Jan 2020 at 12:24PM