Badges - Gould League of Bird Lovers
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is an irregular-shaped metal badge with the image of a red-capped robin, bronze-coloured tree branch and gold printing on a blue base. The back has a metal clip.
- W 2 cm. H 2 cm.
- gould league of bird lovers, history of warrnambool, john gould, ornithologist
- This is a badge of the Gould League of Bird Lovers. This organization was formed in 1909 in Victoria and was initially sponsored by the Education Department of Victoria. It was named after the English ornithologist, John Gould and his wife Elizabeth. The initial aim was to encourage school children to protect native birds and their eggs. Today the aim of the group has been widened to include education for environmental sustainability. In 1967 the name was changed to Gould League and in 2006 it became Gould Group Ltd.
- Swann & Hudson (Maker)
- This badge has no known local provenance but many school children in Warrnambool in the 20th century and even today have belonged to the Gould League of Bird Lovers and the badge is retained as a memento of what was once an important organization for school children in Victoria.
- Gould League of Bird Lovers
Swann & Hudson Frankston
- 20 Jan 2020 at 12:57PM