Medals - Opening of First Australian Parliament 1901
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- .1 This is a shield-shaped metal medal with a crown on the top. Obverse: Images of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York and printing. Reverse: Images of Queen Victoria and Edward V11 and printing.
.2 as above
- .1 & .2 - W 2.7 cm. H 3.4 cm.
- These medals were issued to commemorate the opening of the first Parliament in Australia in Melbourne in May 1901. The Federation of the Australian States and Territories took place in January 1901. The Federal Parliament met in Melbourne until Canberra was established and a new Parliament House was opened in 1927. The fist Parliament in Australia was opened by the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York.
- These medals have no known local provenance and are retained for display purposes.
- Opening of the First Federal Parliament T.R.H The Duke & Duchess of Cornwall and York Melbourne, May 1901
Aust. Commonwealth Est. 1 Jan. 1901
First Parliament opened May 1901
63rd of Victoria R.I. 1st of Edward V11
W.A. Tas. N.S.W. Vic. S.A. Qld.
- 20 Jan 2020 at 1:48PM