School Uniform - Hatband of Woodbury Ladies’ College [Kew], circa 1918
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc 1 Civic Drive Kew Victoria
- Navy blue hatband with narrow white and yellow stripes of Woodbury Ladies College (1903-1920).
- woodbury college, schools - cotham road - kew - vic, private schools - kew (vic)
- Woodbury College was an indirect predecessor of Preshil School in Kew. Woodbury College was founded in Glenferrie Road by a Miss Harcourt, former principal of Sydenham College, Moonee Ponds. Miss Harcourt maintained the school until the goodwill was purchased in 1908 by Miss LJ Macey, who had previously operated Lillsden Ladies' College in Edgevale Road, between c.1891 and c.1903. The first school was in a rented building on the south side of Cotham Road between Atkins and Davis Streets. In 1910, a new school building was built on the corner of Uvadale Grove and Cotham Road [the building is still extant as of 2020]. Woodbury College was operated by Miss LJ and Miss HJ Macey until 1920. In 1921, the school amalgamated with the newly formed St Andrew's College, Mont Victor Road, Kew (Vic) under the leadership of Rev JT Lawton [who had previously been principal of St Andrew's School of the 'Pathfinder' in South Yarra]. Miss Macey was for a period the Headmistress of the amalgamated school. Another teacher at the school was Miss Margaret JR Lyttle, who in 1931, left St Andrew's to form the Preshil School.
- Rare ephemera relating to an early private school in Kew (Vic). The hatband was worn by Lilian McCrae in circa 1918 and donated by her sister Heather Houston. The badge was donated by Helen Lade.
- 1 Jul 2020 at 9:18AM