Historical information

Woodbury College is an indirect predecessor of Preshil School in Kew. Woodbury College was founded in Glenferrie Road by a Miss Harcourt, former principal of Sydenham College, Moonee Ponds. Miss Harcourt maintained the school until the goodwill was purchased in 1908 by Miss LJ Macey, who had previously operated Lillsden Ladies' College in Edgevale Road, between c.1891 and c.1903. The first school was in a rented building on the south side of Cotham Road between Atkins and Davis Streets. In 1910, a new school building was built on the corner of Uvadale Grove and Cotham Road [the building is still extant as of 2020]. Woodbury College was operated by Miss LJ and Miss HJ Macey until 1920. In 1921, the school amalgamated with the newly formed St Andrew's College, Mont Victor Road, Kew (Vic) under the leadership of Rev JT Lawton [who had previously been principal of St Andrew's School of the 'Pathfinder' in South Yarra]. Miss Macey was for a period the Headmistress of the amalgamated school. Another teacher at the school was Miss Margaret JR Lyttle, who in 1931, left St Andrew's to form the Preshil School.


A rare panoramic photograph of Woodbury College in Kew, Victoria. The photograph is part of a large collection of original manuscripts and ephemera relating to the school.

Physical description

Panoramic photograph of the students and teachers of Woodbury College, Cotham Road (Kew). Students identified in the photograph include:
Back Row, 5th from left Betty Paton; 4th from right - Jean Strickey (sic).

Inscriptions & markings

Annotation to reverse: "Woodbury College (Miss L.J. Massey) established Cotham Rd Kew. Est. at this venue 1908. Later joined by Rev. J.T. Lawton & formed a school in Mount Victor Rd Kew St Andrew’s College in 1921.’