Provenance

Various Parties

Purpose/Function

Reference, Research, Information

Arrangement

Arranged by Secondary Values (value of records to users)

Content

The Recreation Hall in Kew was built in 1880 and demolished in 1960, owned by the Kew Recreation Council until the financial difficulties of World War 1 led it to being acquired by the Kew Council. The original facility was noted for being a first for the entirety of Melbourne on a municipal level, boasting bowling greens, tennis courts, a cricket ground, and most notably a dance floor. Hosting musical and theatre performances, it served as a pillar of the social community in Kew. It was demolished for the expansion of the Kew Bowling Club but would be spiritually revived in the construction of the Kew Recreational Centre in 1986, an aquatic centre since demolished. The file includes: Two tickets for events at the centre, a newspaper article regarding the history of the hall, and a summarised history of the hall.