Archive File - 'Houghton', Princess Street [Kew]
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- Small archival file which includes histories of the weatherboard house, Houghton (erected 1853, now demolished), which once stood in Princess Street near Ivy Grange. The file includes a typescript of the chapter on Houghton by Dorothy Rogers published in ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1960) and an undated document written by Louisa Hamilton which provides some information about the early history of Houghton but also records the development behind Houghton of 14 self-contained units for war widows. A Vasey newsletter (Circular No.144, August 1984) includes a quote from 1960 relating to the opening of the flats by Hon Hugh Robertson, Minister for Social Services.
(Note that the KHS photo collection includes many photos of Houghton that predate the redevelopment)
- A4 Vertical File
- kew historical society - archives, kew - history, houghton - princess street - kew (vic), mrs vasey obe, kitty gahan, annie bowden, vasey newsletter
- Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.
- 4 Dec 2018 at 4:17PM