Provenance

Various Parties

Purpose/Function

Reference, Research, Information

Arrangement

Arranged by Secondary Values (value of records to users)

Content

The Salvation Army first arrived in Kew in 1892 after the petitioning of soldiers from the Hawthorn Branch. Taking a lot of convincing thanks to the opulence of the suburb and the influence of churches already in the area, an open mission with quarters (Otira?) was the main drive behind establishing it. Nowadays, there is a Salvos Opportunity Shop along High Street close to Kew Junction. The file includes: Newsletters related to the history of the branch, a booklet that celebrates the centenary history of the Hawthorn Branch, and a list of postings for a Brigadier Warren Trestrail.