Archive File - Grip of Time
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- Archive file containing both primary and secondary sources relating to the sculpture by Peter Schipperheyn (b.1955) - Grip of Time (1979) - installed on the north wall of the Kew Town Hall (now the Kew Library) in 1983. Mrs Laurel Abercrombie, a Kew resident, donated the sculpture to the City of Kew in 1982, and it formed part of the ‘municipal collection’ of the former City of Kew (now City of Boroondara). A note in the file records that prior to its installation on its current site; it was attached to a brick wall at the side of Abercrombie Galleries, Johnson Street, Collingwood. It was restored by the sculptor c.1996. The file contains two colour photographs of the sculpture and newspaper articles recording controversy at the time of its installation. The file also contains correspondence between the Society and the City of Boroondara relating to the plaque that was beside the sculpture.
- A4 Vertical File
- kew historical society - archives, kew library, kew civic hall, kew town hall, grip of time, peter schipperheyn (1955-), artworks - kew (vic), city of kew - municipal collection
- Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.
- 28 Nov 2018 at 8:51PM