Archive File - Gardens (Kew)
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- Correspondence and newspaper articles/clippings relating to historic gardens in Kew. The oldest item is a letter from the National Trust Victoria announcing their two-year garden study and seeking information on gardens in Kew. Mavis Rolley, Secretary of the Society, made handwritten notes in response, which are kept in the file. She refers to: the pear trees planted by William Oswin in c. 1845 near what is now the Burke Road Bridge (she notes that a search for the trees at the time of the construction of the Eastern Freeway was unsuccessful), a camellia planted by the Dannocks near the corner of Derby and High Street, a c.1876 pine tree in Field Place, Henty Court, an 1875 Moreton Bay fig at Tarring, Ruyton, a Moreton Bay fig at Roxeth, Trinity Grammar, an 1840s oak tree and a 120-year old olive tree at Fairholme, Barry Street, 1870 pine trees at D’Estaville, Barry Street, trees at Turinville, Barnard Grove, dating to 1846, pine trees dating from 1845-6 on the Willsmere Farm, red gums in Victoria Park, pine trees in the Cemetery dating from the 1860s, trees in the Alexandra Gardens and at Kew Primary School, palm trees at La Verna, Sackville Street dating from the 1890s, the trees and gardens at Ross House (Charleville), and the trees at Merridale, Sackville Street which date from the 1880s, a magnolia at Lalla Rookh. These dates are probably highly contestable. Other handwritten notes from 1979 about significant gardens included: 5 Molesworth Street, Red Bluff - Redmond Street (garden now destroyed), Campion House, Studley Park Road, Raheen, Studley Park Road, Ross House, Cotham Road (Charleville), 7 Adeney Avenue, 20-21 Belmont Avenue, 52 Mary Street, an Edna Walling garden on the corner of Argyle Road and Victor Avenue, Merridale, Sackville Street, Roseneath, and Reno, St John’s Parade.
- A4 Vertical File
- kew historical society - archives, gardens - private - kew (vic)
- Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.
- 28 Nov 2018 at 5:14PM