Provenance

Various Parties

Purpose/Function

Reference, Research, Information

Arrangement

Arranged by Secondary Values (value of records to users)

Content

The Kew Branch line existed between the years of 1887 and 1957 and served as a railway line that split off from Hawthorn station and went through Barker station and terminated at Kew station. It ran along a single track and was proposed to extend all the way out to Doncaster, and perhaps further. It was decommissioned for passenger rail in 1952, and after serving another five years for freight trains, would be demolished come the next year. The file includes: Copies of the magazine ‘Newsrail’, a copy of ‘The Railway Comes to Kew: 1884-1887’ by Andrew Frost, multiple magazine, and newspaper articles with information regarding the Kew Railway and its history, a poem published in 1882 talking of the trains on the line, pictures of the line, and a collection of old tickets and timetables from the 1940s-50s.