Archive File - Kew Court House ~ 1986-1989
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- Archive file containing information relating to the Kew Post Office complex, including the Kew Court House and the Police Station. The correspondence between parties included the City of Kew, the Kew Historical Society, and the Victorian Government. Initially the correspondence related to the proposed use of the Court House as a Centre for the Society as it was being forced to vacate the Copy Shop (q.v) in Walpole Stret due to its impending demolition. Later correspondence relates to the proposed sale of the Court House by the Victorian Government.
- A4 Vertical File
- kew historical society - archives, kew - history, kew court house, kew police station, heritage campaigns - kew (vic)
- Since its foundation in 1958, members of the Kew Historical Society have been compiling and storing information about subjects relating to the history of Kew and its environs, of which this file is an example. Typically files will contain primary and secondary sources.
- The campaign to preserve and redevelop the Kew Court House and Police Station began when the Victorian Government announced its intention to sell the properties comprising this heritage precinct. The Kew Historical Society mounted a community campaign to raise funds from the community for its preservation, with the support of the City of Boroondara. The funds raised by the Society were $500,000, which contributed to the buildings purchase and restoration. The community campaign was an exemplary example of heritage in action. The Society holds the complete documentation of this heritage campaign.
- 17 Dec 2018 at 11:25AM