black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph mounted on grey card. it shows three rows of students and teachers in font of a brick building. They are dressed in uniforms with ties and blazers.
- H-196mm W-245mm
- education-orbost higher-elementary-school-orbost gilbert-nance
- During 1910-11 the first approaches were made to the Department of Education for the establishment of a Higher Elementary School in Orbost and this became a reality in 1912. Orbost Higher Elementary School supplied post-primary education in the district until a high school was built in 1948.
Higher Elementary schools took in students whose parents desired a higher level of education than the completion of Grade 6. Higher elementary classes were added to existing primary schools and were the forerunners of high schools.
- Neville Huon (Maker)
- Orbost High School / Orbost Secondary College has played a significant part in the education of senior students in the Orbost district . It is the sole senior educational institution. This photograph is representative of its history.
- on back - 1939 D & C FORMS
Nance Gilbert front row 3rd from right
- 23 Jan 2020 at 1:35PM