Photograph - The "Stump" Hotel
From the Collection of Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives 30 Gipps Street Port Fairy 3284
- Black and white photograph of The Caledonian Hotel taken from the diagonal corner
- 15cm x 10cm
- VPFH 62.04B.084
- the stump, hotel, caledonian hotel
- This photograph shows the hotel without the later addition of the wooden stump to the corner near the bar door. The stump relates to the story of early closing time in the late 1800's early 1900's when if the publican thought it was safe he would put a lit lantern out on the wood chopping stump to indicate that he was still open for business.
- This photo is significant because it shows the building without the "stump" out the front which was a later addition.
- Written in ink -The Stump Hotel
- 27 Jan 2020 at 3:31PM