David Gordon Collection.
A Codd-neck bottle is a type of bottle used for carbonated drinks. Hiram Codd, an English engineer invented a successful process that he patented as “Codd’s patented globe stopper bottle” in 1872. This type of bottle has a closing design in which a glass marble is held against a rubber seal, which sits within a recess in the lip. The Codd-neck bottle was designed and manufactured with thick glass to withstand internal pressure, and a chamber to enclose a marble and a rubber washer in the neck. The bottles are filled upside down, and pressure of the gas in the bottle forced the marble against the washer, sealing in the carbonation. The bottle is pinched into a special shape to provide a chamber into which the marble is pushed to open the bottle. This prevents the marble from blocking the neck as the drink is poured. The bottles were regularly produced for many decades, but gradually declined in usage. Since children smashed the bottles to retrieve the marbles, vintage bottles are relatively scarce and have become collector items, particularly in the UK.
William Whittaker's son Joseph Whittaker operated a cordial factory at Tarnagulla for many years. It was located at the southern end of Commercial Road, and was the last business premises on the eastern side of the road.
Joseph Whittaker was a leading citizen at Tarnagulla for many years, and was a leading supporter of sporting activities including cricket and rifle clubs, as well as a strong patron of the fire brigade. He was known by some as Ginger Beer Joe.